Practical Citation formulated for other software?

Home Forums Feedback Practical Citation formulated for other software?

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Bonnie Samuel
      Participant

Ben, While I am a devoted Reunion user, I do also keep FTM going (although I’m not sure why?!) and wondered if you have developed Practical Citation for FTM? Or others? Thanks.

Ben
      Keymaster

Hi Bonnie.

Yes, although it’s not released yet.

I had done much of the FTM editions before the latest major version updates (FTM 2014 and FTMM 3). With these new releases I’ve got a lot of retesting to do. I anticipate some rewriting as well as completing the remaining writing.

—-Ben >@<

Ben
        Keymaster

FTM 2014 and 3 versions are complete and ready for download in your member’s area.

Henry Tieding
      Participant

I also use Reunion and Family Tree Maker and have noticed that FTM 2014 version is available. What procedure must I follow to access a version other than Reunion?

Ben
        Keymaster

Hi Henry. Click on “Members” on the navigation bar at the top of the page. You’ll see all available editions under “Download Links.”

—-Ben >@<

Henry Tieding
      Participant

The link for FamilyTreeMaker takes me to a page that says I have no access and will not let me access the download.

Ben
        Keymaster

Hi Henry.

Sorry about that. I made a mistake when I added the link. It should work now.

With best regards,

—-Ben >@<

Bonnie Samuel
      Participant

Hello Ben,
      Just wanted to tell you how much I appreciate “Practical Citation”. I use the format exclusively and how stress free it is! I did add a field for my Reunion database source number and find that very helpful in reports.

Ironically, I am reading a book about Cholera in 1832 which is densely documented and by the book I’m sure, BUT indecipherable! If the object is to write a source to enable another to find the referenced material, this book author misses the mark!

Thanks for your get work and best wishes for the new year,
      Bonnie

RWells
      Participant

Ben

I have been using “Practical Citations” for several years using RM5, RM6, and now RM7.

Have you done any work on the format for RootsMagic?

Thanks
      Roger

Ben
      Keymaster

Hi Roger.

I’ve got the testing done. I still need to add instructions to the guide. That’s the second task on my list now. First I want to add an appendix with answers to the exercises as that often requested.

—-Ben >@<

Norm Copeland
      Participant

Hi Ben, just about to get started reading the book – looking forward to it! Will your tips apply to MacFamilyTree 8?

Ben
        Keymaster

Hi Norm,

The general approach can apply, but the parts specific to recording sources in your software won’t.

The makers of MacFamilyTree have made some poor choices with respect to source citation and GEDCOM import/export. It’s among my least recommended genealogy applications.

—-Ben >@<

Mark Cunningham
      Participant

Hey Norm,

The concepts are independent of any software. That said, I’m not familiar with MacFamilyTree 8 but as long as you can create/edit a source structure/fields you can create your own source with the appropriate fields.

Norm Copeland
      Participant

Thanks Ben and Mark – very helpful. I’ve been regularly exporting from MacFamilyTree and into TNG. Do you have any experience with it?

Do you recall what the glaring issues with MacFamilyTree’s GEDCOM import/export? I’ve put a ton of time into it already and want to know what I’m up against if I try to move.

Thank you!

Ben
      Keymaster

Hi Norm,

There are so many! See Keith Riggle’s article on GenealogyTools.com for our latest testing results (it’s been updated for version 8):

Family Tree Software Alternatives, Part 5: MacFamilyTree 8 (Updated 3 May 2016)

I’ve not tested TNG because it’s not genealogy research software. As you know it’s purpose is setting up and maintaining a genealogical website.

—-Ben >@<

Paul Browne
      Participant

Did I miss it – I can’t find templates/set up guidance for FTM?

Judy Tuccinardi
      Participant

Paul Browne-This forum hasn’t been used in a very, very long time and that is a shame and I don’t think that I can really help you except to direct you to Amazon and look for the Practical Citation book there. It’s a Kindle edition and it’s about $5. I hope this is of some help, Judy

Paul Browne
      Participant

Thanks – I have the book. I just need to become more confident in using it! 🙂

Judy Tuccinardi
      Participant

Totally understand! It took me months (literally) to get the courage to do just one source! Even after reading the book! I have used the book as kind of a guide but found parts of it too confusing (at least for my brain) so I have sort of ‘customized’ my own version. lol

There might be a FMT User Group on Facebook that might be of some help. I use Reunion and I follow the Reunion FB group and they are very helpful. Judy

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.